Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sexy Feminism: or why I’m fucking tired of feminist apologism

Today at volunteering I ran into the blog “"The Sexy Feminist: The No Guilt Guide to Being a Modern Feminist". I’m not going to harp on this blog. From what I can tell it is actually a great feminist advocacy blog. It just jump started some thoughts in my head about all the feminist apologism I see these days. We’ve all heard it. I've done it. As soon as you tell someone you’re a feminist they give you this wary look and ask “Are you one of those feminists?” You find yourself tripping over your tongue trying to explain how you aren’t militant or ‘like them’ (heaven forbid). You find yourself in the ridiculous position of having to apologize for your feminism. Or feeling guilty for talking about your feminism with someone who is uninterested at best or outright hostile at worst. 

Or if you are a braver person than me you tell them to go fuck themselves. From now on I am going to tell people to go fuck themselves. As far as I am aware no other activist group is forced to apologize for itself as often as feminists are. The sexist reality of our modern world is that it is acceptable to be an activist for civil rights or the environment but it’s not okay to be a feminist. You have to justify feminism to others. (Writing this I’m feeling very ignorant because of my white privilege. I’m certain that Native groups and other activists of colour often find themselves in the same position of me. They probably are told to shut up or apologize as often if not more often. But I cannot make a pronouncement on this situation since I am completely ignorant.)


Why do we have to apologize for our feminism? Oh I know the historical reasons why. Men have always had the power. So of course a group that challenges that would be completely unacceptable. Activists are agitating against the status quo. Of course those who benefit from the status quo (or simply don’t care enough to fight against it) are going to look askance as us activists fucking up their shiny happy world. Other people want to focus on easy, ‘happy’ things and don’t like to be made aware of certain realities that most people in the world have to face on a daily basis. I’m also aware that this is a backlash against second wave feminism. Let’s face facts. Second wave feminism was needed. The backlash against it was and is extremely sexist. But feminists are not perfect. They too are rife with hyperbole and the unfortunate tendency to make blanket statements that alienated people from the cause. Personal Anecdote time: I did not get involved with the feminists on my university campus because of some comments one of them made to me about being straight in second year. Another story for another blog post. I regret now not getting involved. But I can see why some people get very defensive when they are told that they are talking to *gasp* a feminist.

BUT here’s what’s important. I understand why these people might get defensive but that DOES NOT MEAN that I’m going to apologize for being a feminist. Or say I’m not one of ‘those’ feminists. I am a militant fucking feminist. You should be too. I’m not going to try to water down what I believe in to make you feel comfortable. And here’s the kicker. When I don’t water down what I say or apologize for what I am most wary people find that they actually agree with most of what I say. If I apologize and try to diminish my involvement in the movement they won’t ever be challenged on their negative stereotypes of feminists. And if we don’t talk about it you aren’t going to come to realize that you actually probably believe in everything I am fighting for. And best case scenario, you might become one of ‘those’ feminist too. Even if you don’t agree with what I’m saying we can have an open and honest discussion about it. That’s progress. That’s true feminism. Creating space for women to speak their minds. Don’t force feminists to apologize because of some sexist stereotypes that you may have. Let’s face facts: sexists, the right wing, and the media have done everything they can to turn feminists into pariahs. Most young women my age no longer identify as feminists EVEN IF they agree with most of the feminist tenants that we fight for.  Trust me. Most of you are feminists. Don’t let the stereotypes confuse or blind you. Let’s reclaim the label! Let’s let the world know that it’s something awesome to be. We can’t let the assholes co-opt it and continue to turn it into a pejorative!

That’s being said, let’s come back to the ‘Sexy Feminist’. Women. This is not the way to go about grabbing feminism back and presenting a new image of it to the world. Sexy feminist? Really?
Here’s is what I hear when you say you are a sexy feminist:  “Look guys! Some of us feminists shave our legs! And like guys! And lipstick!”

Why are you catering to the assholes who created these negative stereotypes about women? This is not the way to respond to such jerks. Putting the focus on ‘sexy’ feminism is just creating a feminism whose most important aspect is appearance. Um, hello? Men have been trying to make women all about appearance for centuries. RESIST. Do not cater to the idea that our appearance is what gives us the right to be heard. Have full claim over your body. Dress how you want. Put what you want on your face. Refuse to be slut-shamed. Love who and how you want. But NEVER, EVER put on ‘a nice face’ to make feminism palatable. Feminism is ‘palatable’ as it is. The only people who actually find feminism gross are sexist assholes. I like to think that most of the people you are going to be talking to that have negative stereotypes about feminism are not going to be swayed by your shaved legs. Dialogue is what is important here. Agency is what is important here. When you tell someone that you are feminist and they react badly ask them why. It’s a perfect conversation starter! Don’t apologize. Ask them why they have a negative view of feminism and talk about what being a feminist actually means. I’m pretty sure you will find some common ground. Don’t focus on making your feminism ‘sexy’. And as for the sexist assholes? Putting the ‘sexy’ label on your feminism is not going to change their minds. They are still going to dismiss everything you say. All you are doing is catering to their appearance focused, objectifying ideas about women. Trying to speak out as one of those women is not going to change their minds. They are not going to listen. No matter how much lipstick you put on.

6 comments:

  1. I'm extremely embarrassed to admit it, but there was a time when I openly referred to myself as an anti-feminist. I was never particularly sexist or heteronormative, but I had become convinced that feminism was synonymous with misandry and therefore that it was something that I should oppose. Simply stated, I opposed feminism without knowing what it is.

    Most of the responsibility for that state of affairs lies with me and my intellectual laziness, of course, but the kind of apologism that you wrote about helped make it easier for me to live in ignorance and therefore continue to be a part of the problem. I think that a lot of opposition to feminism comes from that phenomenon.

    There is, of course, no excuse to be poorly informed on an important social issue, but so long as people don't take responsibility for their own education, it makes strategic sense to take steps to help them reach the same realization that I did: That patriarchy is a real and problematic aspect of society and feminism is an admirable attempt to remove it.

    The problem is that, in many social circles, there are few positive feminist role models, because of the frustrating apologist phenomenon that you describe. This allows potential allies to continue to buy into the myth that feminism is about hating men and burning bras and the patriarchy is supposed to be some kind of secret kabal of dudely overlords.

    The answer is to foster more discussion, and you have outlined a very workable way to do that. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cam:

    I think we've all had those moments. I think that most people our age grew up being fed negative images of feminists and tons of images of what is sexy about women (especially their silence). I've all had those moments where I was really against feminists (although I have always considered myself pro-feminism). I think the problem is that many of us don't examine these prejudices that we have. I think you're right to say that we really do need someone or something to spark us out of those beliefs. And that's one thing the internet can be good for, of we are willing to search outside our comfort zone. Discussion is definitely key. I guess I'm an optimist because I honestly believe most people are feminists - at least to some degree. And as soon as they become aware of their feminist attributes they slip more and more to so called 'radical' feminism. I hope for that! (Of course I might be deluded).

    Also, I snickered pretty heavily at "secret cabal of dudely overlords".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post, thanks for the honesty (and the wake up call for a lot of closet feminists, I think!). I did want to touch on a specific point that I understand was not your main focus, but that I feel strongly about: the concept of "white guilt." In the way that you shouldn't have to excuse yourself for being any type of feminist, you shouldn't have to excuse yourself for being white. So you were born that way, I get that your (unrelated) ancestors in the past may have done a lot of really racist things, but it shouldn't have to be your burden to carry til the end of time. Your thoughts and beliefs are not lesser just because you happened to be born and raised in a certain world and a certain society!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly I agree with you. But I think you have a very narrow conception of sexiness. Lots of people I know (mostly privileged, yes) think smart, independent, strong women are sexy... it's not only about physical appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get the sense that Maija was referring to her own personal conception of sexiness. She says this of 'sexy Feminism' as an attempt to be taken seriously by non-Feminists:

    "All you are doing is catering to their appearance focused, objectifying ideas about women."

    She's referring to a culture that makes the assumption re: sexiness that it's all about physical appearance rather than intelligence, agency, etc. What I get from this is that you both probably agree that sexiness should/does have a broader definition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chantal:
    I agree with you about white guilt. I find it completely unhelpful and usually just a mask for a desire to not do anything. At it's worst it can actually be racist and patriarchal in itself. A truly open, non-racist, non-patriarchal society would value the contribution of all members. An over-focus on race is a problem. I wasn't trying to convey a sense that I felt guilty about being white. I feel IGNORANT because I am white. The only way for me to know whether activists of colour feel the same way I do about apologism is to ask. I don't walk in their shoes. I need to ask because I simply don't know. And I want to know. I need more imput to clarify my understanding.

    Anonymous: Taylor (TLew) is right. My definition of sexy is does not simply include appearance. I should have made that more clear. I agree with you wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete